> Products > TUFPRENE & ASAPRENET
The styrenic thermoplastic elastomers
|Brochure Grades & Properties
|TUFPRENE™ & ASAPRENE™ Basic
The styrenic thermoplastic elastomers [SBS]
TUFPRENE and ASAPRENET are styrene-butadiene block copolymers, widely recognized and proven as styrenic
thermoplastic elastomers (TPEs) with excellent elastomeric
characteristics, compatibility with polystyrene and other
polymers, and processing characteristics.
The original TUFPRENE series was introduced in 1971
as the first styrenic TPE produced in Japan.
With its addition of the ASAPRENET series and its
continuing advances in the performance characteristics
of both series for a broad range of functions and applications,
Asahi Kasei is Japans established
leader in this field.
Salient features of TUFPRENE
In service, TUFPRENE and ASAPRENET provide
elastic performance comparable to that of vulcanized
In fabrication, however, they can be readily molded
and extruded in the same manner as other thermoplastics.
Their performance characteristics include the following.
- High rubber elasticity, comparable to that of vulcanized
- Superior low-temperature characteristics.
- High adhesive strength, for a broad range of materials.
- Superior compatibility with polystyrene and other
resins, and with asphalt.
- Low solution viscosity, ready solubility in a broad
range of industrial solvents.
- High slip resistance.
- Crosslinking capability.
- Low specific gravity, for lightweight products.
Typical applications of TUFPRENE
- Plastic blends with polystyrene and other polymers.
- Base polymers in a broad range of pressure-sensitive
and other adhesives.
- Asphalt blends for waterproof sheeting, road paving,
- Shoe soles.
- Multilayer coextruded sheets, toys, sporting goods,
erasers, other products.
and ASAPRENET polymer grades and application map